Trump Says He’s Not Weighing Sanctions Against Turkey for Missile Purchase

VOA’s Jeff Seldin contributed to this report.

U.S. President Donald Trump said Thursday that he was not considering sanctions against Turkey for purchasing Russian air defense systems, one day after the U.S. retaliated by removing Turkey from its F-35 stealth fighter jet program. 
 
“We’re not looking at that right now,” Trump said during an Oval Office celebration of the U.S. Special Olympics team. 
 
A spokesman for Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan expressed “unease” about being removed from the program in a telephone conversation Thursday with White House national security adviser John Bolton, according to broadcaster CNN Turk. 
 
The U.S. cut Turkey out of the program after Ankara accepted delivery of some Russian-made S-400 missile defense systems. 
 
“Unfortunately, Turkey’s decision to purchase Russian S-400 air defense systems renders its continued involvement with the F-35 impossible,” White House officials wrote Wednesday. “The F-35 cannot coexist with a Russian intelligence collection platform that will be used to learn about its advanced capabilities.” 
 
U.S. officials believe NATO ally Turkey’s decision to use Russian advanced radar technology could compromise the alliance’s military systems in the country. The S-400 could potentially be used to target NATO jets in Turkey, including the U.S.-made F-35, which is NATO’s newest stealth fighter jet. 
 
Ellen Lord, undersecretary of defense for acquisition and sustainment, told reporters at the Pentagon Wednesday that the U.S. and its other F-35 partners “were aligned” in the decision to suspend and begin formally removing Turkey from the program. 
 
“Much of the F-35’s strength lies in its stealth capabilities, so the ability [of the S-400] to detect those capabilities would jeopardize the long-term security of the F-35 program,” she said. 
 
Turkey’s Foreign Ministry, dismissing the Pentagon’s concerns, said the decision to exclude it from the F-35 program was a mistake. 

The ministry’s statement also warned that the U.S. decision would irreparably harm Washington-Ankara relations. 



US Shot Down Iranian Drone, Trump Says   

President Donald Trump said a U.S. warship shot down an Iranian drone Thursday that was threatening the ship and its crew in the Strait of Hormuz. 
 
Trump told reporters at a White House event that the drone came within 900 meters of the USS Boxer and ignored “multiple calls to stand down.” 
 
“The drone was immediately destroyed,” he said. “This is the latest of many provocative and hostile actions by Iran against vessels operating in international waters. The United States reserves the right to defend our personnel, our facilities and interests.” 
 
There was no immediate response from Iran, but Trump called on all nations to condemn what he called “Iran’s attempt to disrupt freedom of navigation and global commerce.” 
 
The Pentagon said in a statement the incident happened about 10 a.m. local time. “The amphibious ship USS Boxer was in international waters conducting a planned inbound transit of the Strait of Hormuz,” it said. “A fixed-wing unmanned aerial system (UAS) approached Boxer and closed within a threatening range. The ship took defensive action against the UAS to ensure the safety of the ship and its crew.” 
 
Thursday’s incident is bound to increase tensions between the United States and Iran, which are already simmering over U.S. sanctions that have wrecked the Iranian economy, and the U.S. withdrawal last year from the 2015 nuclear deal that Iran had reached with global powers. 
 
Iran has also started backing away from parts of the deal and has threatened to further increase uranium enrichment unless the European Union helps the Iranian economy. 
 
Iran shot down a U.S. drone last month that it said was flying over its territory. The U.S. said the drone was over international waters. Trump called off a retaliatory airstrike at the last minute, saying he wanted to avoid Iranian casualties. 
 
The U.S. also suspects Iran was behind mine attacks on several foreign oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman last month. 
 
Iran says U.S. actions in the Middle East, including missile sales to its archrivals Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, threaten to blow up the region. 



Київське метро попереджає про можливе закриття двох станцій 19 липня

 

Дві станції київського метро можуть не працювати у зв’язку з масовими заходами на Подолі 19 липня, попереджають у комунальному підприємстві «Київський метрополітен».

«Якщо пасажиропотік перевищуватиме техможливості, задля безпеки ми будемо змушені прикрити станції «Контрактова площа» та «Поштова площа», – повідомляють у прес-службі метро.

У відомстві просять містян врахувати можливе закриття станцій при плануванні маршрутів.



В Одеській області в ДТП загинули чотири людини

В Одеській області в результаті ДТП загинули чотири людини, повідомили 18 липня в поліції.

Зіткнення вантажівки та легкового автомобіля сталося вранці трасі Одеса-Рені, неподалік села Удобне.

Обставини трагедії та особи загиблих з’ясовуються.

Вирішується питання про внесення відомостей до Єдиного реєстру досудових розслідувань за статтею 286 (порушення правил дорожнього руху) Кримінального кодексу України.



Some in GOP Chastise Trump Rally’s Cries to ‘Send her Back’

Some Republicans are criticizing the chants of “send her back” by the crowed at a rally with President Donald Trump.
 
But none of those who have spoken so far are directly taking on Trump after he stirred up his supporters by reviling young Democratic congresswomen who’ve criticized him and suggesting they leave the U.S. Trump spoke Wednesday night in North Carolina.
 
The four lawmakers include a black woman, a Hispanic and two Muslims.
 
Minnesota Rep. Tom Emmer heads the House GOP’s campaign arm, and told reporters Thursday “there’s no place” for such chants.
 
Illinois Rep. Adam Kinzinger tweeted that the crowd’s call was “ugly, wrong & would send chills down the spines of our Founding Fathers.”
 
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says it’s time to “lower the rhetoric” about racism.



US Senator Warren Pitches New Constraints on Private Equity

White House hopeful Elizabeth Warren is proposing new regulations on the private equity industry, pitching constraints designed to end what she decries as “legalized looting” by investment firms that take over troubled companies.

Warren’s plan, the latest in a series of policy ideas that have propelled the Massachusetts senator to the top tier of the 2020 Democratic presidential primary, would hold private equity firms liable for debts and pension promises made by the companies they buy up. It would restrict the firms’ ability to pay dividends as well as high fees that shift money out of acquired companies.

The new private equity rules bring Warren’s detail-driven campaign back to the familiar ground that launched her political career — reining in Wall Street.

Warren, the former chair of the independent panel that oversaw the government’s 2008 bailout of major financial institutions, is a longtime foe of the financial industry who has underscored since launching her presidential run that she is a capitalist. But like democratic socialist Bernie Sanders , a rival for the Democratic nomination to challenge President Donald Trump, Warren is building her campaign around a promise of sweeping upheaval she says would spread around more of the benefits of economic growth.

“I am tired of big financial firms looting the economy to pad their own pockets while the rest of the economy suffers,” Warren wrote in a Medium post announcing her plan on Thursday. “I am done with Washington ignoring the evidence and acting as though boosting Wall Street helps our families. Financial firms have helped push our economy badly off track.”

Warren’s private equity proposals also include new rules that would require worker pay to take precedence over other obligations when companies declare bankruptcy as well as more open disclosure of investment firms’ fees, both of which are included in private legislation she’s set to introduce later Thursday alongside Senate and House Democratic colleagues. Her platform further calls for the restoration of dividing lines between commercial and investment banking that were repealed in 1999, a change that was part of both the Republican and the Democratic platforms during the 2016 presidential election despite Trump’s lack of emphasis on it during his campaign.

The private equity industry pushed back at Warren’s proposal on Thursday. American Investment Council President Drew Maloney, whose group represents private equity firms, said that the industry “is an engine for American growth and innovation — especially in Senator Warren’s home state of Massachusetts.”

“Extreme political plans only hurt workers, investment, and our economy,” Maloney said in a statement.

Private equity-backed companies headquartered in Warren’s home state employ nearly 400,000 people, the AIC said.

Warren is headed to Iowa for a two-day campaign swing during which she’s likely to tout her new private equity plan, the latest installment of a broader self-described “economic patriotism” agenda that also includes a $2 trillion investment in environmentally friendly manufacturing.

Besides bolstering her credentials as an antagonist of Wall Street, Warren’s new proposal also gives her the chance to tout her avoidance of high-dollar fundraisers and reliance on small donors to power her campaign. Sanders, a Vermont senator, has similarly vowed to forgo high-dollar fundraisers, but the private equity industry remains a notable supporter of several of their Democratic presidential rivals.

Federal Election Commission records show that employees of Blackstone, which leads Private Equity International’s ranking of top private equity firms, have donated a total of $102,100 to 11 Democratic presidential hopefuls this year, with South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg topping the list of recipients at $30,800. Neither Warren nor Sanders reported receiving contributions from the private equity giant’s employees.



Неповнолітньому оголосили підозру в справі про вбивство 5-річного Кирила Тлявова

Прокуратура Київської області повідомляє про оголошення підозри неповнолітньому в справі про загибель 5-річного Кирила Тлявова.

За повідомленням, 16-річний хлопець разом із ще трьома особами, стріляв у місцевості, де перебував 5-річний Кирило Тлявов, який отримав смертельне поранення від одного з цих пострілів.

«Як уже повідомлялось, під час досудового розслідування обставин смерті 5-річного хлопчика, що сталося 31 травня поточного року м. Переяслав-Хмельницький встановлено, що на місці злочину під час хуліганської стрільби перебувало четверо осіб. З них – двоє працівників поліції, яким раніше повідомлено про підозру й обрано запобіжний захід у вигляді тримання під вартою, та двоє цивільних осіб, в тому числі неповнолітній», – йдеться в повідомленні.

У прокуратурі уточнили, що неповнолітнього підозрюють за статтею «хуліганство, вчинене групою осіб, із застосуванням вогнепальної зброї». Прокуратура клопотатиме в суді про обрання йому запобіжного заходу у вигляді цілодобового домашнього арешту, додали у відомстві.

Читайте також: Поліція: після вбивства 5-річного Кирила 12 правоохоронців притягли до відповідальності

Крім того, в прокуратурі повідомили, що 18 липня суд арештував третього підозрюваного у справі про вбивство 5-річного хлопчика.

«Суд розглянув клопотання прокуратури області про обрання підозрюваному, якому учора, 17 липня, прокуратурою повідомлено про підозру за ч. 4 ст. 296 КК України (хуліганство, вчинене групою осіб, із застосуванням вогнепальної зброї) запобіжного заходу у вигляді тримання під вартою. Суд задовольнив клопотання прокурора та залишив його під вартою строком на 60 діб», – йдеться в повідомленні.

3 червня стало відомо, що 5-річний Кирило Тлявов, якого, за даними слідства, поранили патрульні поліцейські у Переяславі-Хмельницькому на Київщині, помер у лікарні. 5 червня дитину поховали в її рідному місті.

За даними правоохоронців, 31 травня двоє поліцейських відпочивали та вживали алкоголь на подвір’ї приватного сектору у Переяславі-Хмельницькому. Під час відпочинку чоловіки домовилися постріляти по металевих банках із вогнепальної зброї. Пізніше виявилося, що куля влучила у хлопчика, що був у сусідньому дворі.



US Removes Turkey From F-35 Fighter Jet Program

The United States has terminated Turkey’s participation in the F-35 joint strike fighter program. The decision announced Wednesday is in response to Turkey’s purchase of the Russian S-400 defense system. The White House said in a statement that Turkey’s acceptance of the S-400 undermines its commitments to NATO. But officials also said that Turkey remains an important strategic partner and that security cooperation will continue. VOA’s Zlatica Hoke has more.